A couple of weekends ago I went to an estate sale and bought a few things that I already posted. I also bought a old, very damaged oil painting in a beautiful gold frame. It was half off day so I ended up paying 10.00. My friend Judy talked me into it, she told me that the frame alone was worth the 10.00 and I might be able to fix it although it was pretty damaged. Last summer I fixed a painting and it turned out pretty good, but it only had a couple of small cuts. This painting had a 2"x4" hole, the canvas was still there it was just ripped in many directions.
1. First I took it out of the frame.
2. Lay upside down on a flat, clean surface with wax paper under the painting.
3. Cut a piece of canvas larger than the tear.
4. Coat the surface of the canvas with Tacky Glue.
5. Patch the back of the tear with the canvas piece with glue.
6. Smooth patch with a old credit card
7. turn over painting and clean excess glue that may have oozed out of the damaged area.
8. Turn flat again and lay heavy object overnight or until glue dries.
9. Once glue is dry, turn painting over and touch up area of painting where repair was done.
If it had been a valuble painting or famous artist I would have had it professionally restored. But this looks good and was affordable for me.
Can you guess where It was fixed?